Java has been updated version 7u40 (1.7.0_40-b43). Security update.
Java has proved to be horribly insecure. I have removed it from all my computers and no longer use programs that require it.
Java Security at Wikipedia
Ed Bott – A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java updates
Google “java security” for more.
Security updates for Adobe Flash, Reader, and Shockwave are available today.
APSB13-22 Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat
Download Adobe Reader or update from within the program (Help > Check for updates).
iTunes 11.0.5 is out.
“This update corrects an issue with iTunes in the Cloud, where some purchases may download or play unexpected items”
Be sure to see:
Ed Bott – The unofficial guide to installing iTunes 10 without bloatware
Picked up this news on Twitter this morning.
Office Mobile for Office 365 at Google Play Store
Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 is out. It is available via Windows Update as well as downloadable.
Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Microsoft Office 2010…contains new updates which improve security, performance, and stability. Additionally, the SP is a roll-up of all previously released updates.
Updates are also available for the Visio and PowerPoint viewers via Windows Update.
Adobe has released security updates for Flash and Shockwave.
APSB13-17 Security updates available for Adobe Flash Player (Windows, Mac, Linux)
APSB13-18 Security update available for Adobe Shockwave Player (Windows, Mac)
Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Shockwave player
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.202 and earlier versions for Windows, Adobe Flash Player 11.7.700.203 and earlier versions for Macintosh, Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.525 and earlier versions for Linux, Adobe Flash Player 184.108.40.206 and earlier versions for Android 4.x, and Adobe Flash Player 220.127.116.11 and earlier versions for Android 3.x and 2.x. These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Acronis True Image 2013 is only $20 at Newegg today (free shipping too).
That is $25 less than I can offer it for via my commision links.
Better jump on this folks!
Got this via email:
PCMARK 7 VERSION 1.4.0 RELEASED
PCMark 7 has been updated to version 1.4.0 and is now fully compatible with Windows 8. Please note that benchmark scores ARE affected by the changes in this update.
**You should not compare scores from PCMark 7 v1.4.0 with any previous version of PCMark 7.**
To get the update, download the PCMark 7 v1.4.0 installer:
The major changes in PCMark 7 v1.4.0 include:
– Enhanced accuracy in video playback drawn frames measurement.
– In addition to the standard result, PCMark 7 Storage tests now report additional “raw” results where the metric idle values have been excluded from the score calculation.
– Enable or disable hardware accelerated video transcoding from the Help tab for troubleshooting.
– Improved logging.
– Now fully compatible with Windows 8.
– The Web Browsing test has been completely rewritten to avoid compatibility issues with Windows 8. The previous implementation was based on Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC); the new one is a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application. The heavy lifting in the test is still done by the WebBrowser2 control. Benchmark scores are affected, in most cases going up by a few percent.
– SystemInfo updated to version 4.15 for Windows 8 compatibility.
– Fixed issues in video transcoding tests and added transcoding output file validation. These changes affect benchmark scores.
– Fixed a data compression bug in the storage workloads. Benchmark scores are affected in configurations that use data compression at the hardware level.
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602.168 and earlier versions for Windows, Adobe Flash Player 11.6.602.167 and earlier versions for Macintosh, and Adobe Flash Player 18.104.22.1680 and earlier versions for Linux. These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Adobe Reader 11.0.02 is out.
Download or update from within the program (Help > Check for updates).
Security bulletin – Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat XI (11.0.01 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, X (10.1.5 and earlier) for Windows and Macintosh, 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Reader 9.5.3 and earlier 9.x versions for Linux. These updates address vulnerabilities that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.